Here are the qualifications needed to attend a Global Messenger Training
• Must be an athlete in good standing with SONC and have a current athlete application on file
• Must be available to attend a weekend two-day training course near Concord
• Must have basic reading skills in order to refer to a script when giving speeches
• When necessary, must be able to provide transportation to and from speaking engagements
• Must be outgoing, friendly and enjoy interacting and meeting new people
• Must have an approved Global Messenger Speech Coach to attend the training
• With practice, must be comfortable speaking in front of groups of between 10 – 500 people
Each Global Messenger is required to be accompanied by a speech coach for the training and continuing into their service to assist with speech writing, transportation (if needed), speech practice, etc. Speech coaches must be registered SONC volunteers and can include a parent, coach, staff member, occupational therapist or other. Only athletes with approved speech coaches will be invited to the training. More information and qualifications for speech coaches may be found in the application.
Think you’re up to the task or know someone who will make a great Global Messenger or Global Messenger Speech Coach? Please complete the below application. Athletes that have previously gone through the Global Messenger Training are encouraged to apply and attend as a refresher course and to get updated on the latest Special Olympics material.
Information on the next scheduled Global Messenger Training will be made available when confirmed. Please contact Tyler Krochmal at email@example.com with any questions.