- ATHLETES & FAMILIES
Become an Athlete
To become a Special Olympics Northern California athlete is to know no limits and it’s COMPLETELY FREE to all participants!
Becoming an athlete means building the skills and self-confidence to go beyond what you thought possible. It means taking intellectual disability and turning it into an opportunity to achieve. It means joining a community that values respect, sportsmanship and fair-play. Have a look at the sports opportunities below and/or download the Athlete Welcome and Information Guide for more information.
With year-round sports training, competitions and 11 sports to choose from, now is the time to become an athlete!
+ Anyone diagnosed with intellectual disabilities who is 5 years old or older is eligible to participate.
+ An "Athlete Application for Participation in Special Olympics" form must be completed and signed by a licensed medical professional.
+Athletes 5–7 years of age are eligible to participate in trainings only. Athletes 8 years of age and older are eligible to participate in trainings and competitions.
Make a Donation
Through sports training and competition opportunities, Special Olympics changes lives and does so for FREE. As you join our Special Olympics family, please consider making a donation so that we can continue to touch the lives of individuals with intellectual disabilities.
Get Started — Apply to Become an Athlete!
It's simple, safe, fun, and it could change your life!
- Join the Special Olympics Northern California website.
- To download the full Special Olympics Athlete Application for Participation form click here. For the Spanish version, click here.
- Complete the form, sign required fields and obtain the signature of a licensed medical professional.
- Make a copy of the completed "Athlete Application for Participation in Special Olympics" form for your records.
- Please submit the original completed form to:
Attn: Judy Burton-Andrews
Special Olympics Northern California
3480 Buskirk Avenue #340
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
Have a question or need additional information? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and the appropriate staff or volunteer will contact you.